Applications for the 2021 school year now open
Please note: Due to the national implementation of the COVID-19 lockdown regulations by the President on the 26th of March 2020, staff of Union High School Applications and Admissions Office as well as other UHS departments, are functioning remotely. This may imply a longer turnaround time for feedback on new applications, as well as other inquiries, due to technical and logistical constraints. We will attend to your application and/or inquiries as soon as possible.
CRITERIA for Application
- English as a Home Language and Afrikaans as a 1st Additional Language is essential.
- Applicants must receive a minimum of 50% for both English and mathematics in the June Examinations
- Applicants from outside SA must be in possession of the necessary study permits.
IMPORTANT STEPS TO FOLLOW:
- Send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
(Application forms are not available for download – will be emailed on request)
- If all Criteria are met and the Application form is correctly completed, please return forms to the school.
- You will be invited to attend an interview SHOULD your Application meet our entrance criteria.
- Further information will be provided at the interview.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED BY UHS
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate, which must display the ID Number.
- Copy of the most recent school report
- A testimonial/reference from your child’s present school
- Copies of both parents ID’s
- Copy of the ID of the person paying school fees (if not the parents)
- Copy of both parents’ latest pay sheets (Should you be self-employed, we require a letter from you accountant, or a copy of your latest bank statement(s)
- Copy of the latest pay sheet of the person responsible for paying the school fees (if not the parents)
- A letter from both employers confirming your employment and reflecting your employer’s contact details.
- Copy of your latest municipal account which reflects your residential address as well as proof of postal address
- Copy of front and back of Medical Aid card (if applicable)
PLEASE NOTE that all documents must be handed in/posted to the school prior to an interview being arranged.
- No pupil will be refused admission to the Union Schools on grounds of race or religious belief.
- No pupil will be refused admission to the Union Schools on the grounds of financial circumstances provided they live in the feeder area or the community zoned for the school as the school cannot burden the parents or its feeder community with financial responsibility of pupils not living in its feeder area.
- Pupils living in our hostels are deemed to form part of our feeder area no matter where their parents or guardians might reside.
- School fees are payable without exemption if Union Schools are chosen in preference to a school nearer the pupil’s home.
- An admission fee of R5650.00 (deducted for 1st term’s schools fees) will be payable on application to the Union Schools. If the application is not successful the full amount will be refunded. If the pupil is accepted the full amount will be deducted from the first school fees paid to the Union Schools.
- Every effort will be made to ensure that the ratio of boys and girls in each standard remains approximately equal.
- Where selection becomes necessary because the number of applicants exceeds the number of available places, selection shall be based upon the following criteria:
- preference will be given to siblings, except where this is not in the best interests of the child;
- preference will be given to applicants who reside in the hostel or to whom the Union Schools are the nearest schools, provided that applications are submitted before the closing date for applications;
- preference will be given to applicants who have a record of success in identified areas;
- preference will be given to applicants with a record of involvement or who demonstrate an interest in one or more of the cultural or sporting activities which form part of the Union Schools’ extra-curricular programme;
- the capacity of the school to provide an acceptable quality of education to the applicant (where applicants have special needs);
- the age of the pupil (the grade number plus 6 will be the general cut-off point);
- whether or not the applicant is a child of a past pupil of Union High.
Union Schools reserves the right to:
Refuse admission to applicants who have a previous record of significant behavioral problems.
Admit any pupil on merit according to its bursary policy.