For generations, the traditional derby days between Union High and Volkskool that conclude the winter and summer sporting seasons have served as the annual highlights of friendship, rivalry and competition for these two schools.
It is with shared pride that Union and Volkskool once again began the competitive athletics season in that same spirit, with the 17th annual Interschools Athletics Meeting held on Wednesday afternoon, 16 October.
A great afternoon ensued with the respective schools’ athletes participating in both track and field events.
Although the competition was held in the midst of a heatwave, the Union learners weren’t deterred – they participated in their numbers and achieved a number of podium places.
The last individual event of the day was the 400 Boys u/17 event. Here, Union showed great spirit, with Matthew Carelse winning the race by a very small margin to a Volkskool competitor.
The 4 x 100m Boys relay was another exciting race. Volkskool, unfortunately, passed Union on the home stretch, to win the relay.
Overall, Union’s athletes claimed 15 first places, 23 second places and 15 third places.
Special mention must be made of Sisipho Arnols and Mack Rubidge, who both succeeded in achieving three first places. Brigitte Oelofsen and Jade Shires each won two first places.
First places were awarded to the following learners:
• Sisipho Arnolds: Boys u/15 – 100m (11,88s), 200m (24,2s) and Long Jump (5,53m)
• Mack Rubidge: Boys u/17 – High Jump (1,70m), Shotput (12,88m) and Discus (23,45m)
• Brigette Oelofsen: Girls u/14 – 800m (3:18,80) and 1 500m (7:11,10)
• Jade Shires: Girls u/17 – 800m (3:14.48) and 200m (31,70s)
• Musa Zweni: Girls u/14 – Long Jump (3,49m)
• Bowen Langmead: Boys u/17 – Javelin (33,7m)
• Rosslyn Sparks: Girls u/19 – Shotput (6,62m)
• Ntsika Ngongoma: Boys u/16 – 100m (11,48s)
• Elia Railton: Girls u/17 – High Jump (1,05m)
• Mawande Hloyi: Boys u/14 – Discus (22,43s)
• Iviwe Ndamane: Boys u/19 – 800m (2:18,59)
• Leythan Carelse: Boys u/14 – Long Jump (4,92m)
• Lana Bouwer: Girls u/14 – High Jump (1,2m)
• Matthew Carelse: Boys u/17 – 400m (59,58s)
All the athletes must be congratulated on their excellent efforts, their willingness to participate and their good show of sportsmanship.
Visit our Facebook page to view photographs: https://www.facebook.com/pg/unionhighschool/photos/?tab=album&album_id=3032256386845116&ref=page_internal