On Thursday evening, 15 August, the gentlemen of Union’s Arthur Kingwill House enjoyed their annual house dinner and awards evening in the Tony Burrell Union.
The Union was transformed beautifully for this auspicious occasion, with candlelight and great camaraderie creating a wonderful ambience.
The event was an opportunity for the hostel’s staff and learners to reflect back on the year, to celebrate and recognise the immense growth each boarder experienced in this time, as well as to say farewell to the matric group.
This year, they were joined by the little Max Kroonies, who have temporarily made Arthur Kingwill House their home while renovations are underway at their boarding establishment.
It was heart-warming to see the respect the little ones have for the older learners and a short video made by the Max Kroon boarders, in which they go into detail about how much they love living at AK House, was enjoyed by all.
It was also great to see the ‘gents’ – from Grade 1 right through to Grade 12 – dressed in their formal attire. The learners represented themselves very well and enjoyed a truly memorable evening.
To start the evening, Mr. Donald Kingwill, Superintendent of Arthur Kingwill House, welcomed the guests and thanked all those who had contributed to the success and happiness of the past year, particularly the 2019 Grade 12s and prefect body. They have led the boarding house with quiet dignity and a passion for the school which doesn’t go unnoticed.
The evening’s highlight, as always, was the awards ceremony. The following awards were presented:
• Arm Wrestling Champion: Damon Fouché
• AKH Braai Master: Vincent Clarke
• For the person who made the kick when it mattered: Owen Paxton
• Grade 1 – 4 Sportsman of the Year: Owen Paxton
• Senior Sportsman of the Year: S’bongakonke Koyingana and Bowen Langmead
• Junior General Knowledge Champion: Bradley Davenport and Daniel Short
• Senior General Knowledge Champion: Lunga Zantsi and Matthew Hesselink
• Grade 1 – 4 Academic Achiever: Jake Hobson
• Top Academic (Grade 5 – 7): Matthew Paxton
• Top Academic (Grade 8 – 9: Jude Langmead
• Top Academic (Grade 10 – 12): Bowen Langmead
• Service Awards: Khanya Butshingi, Luke McNaughton, Iviwe Ndamane, Zusakhe Ngwana and Peter Watermeyer.
• The boarder who contributed most to hostel life by being punctual, neat, courteous and well-behaved: Khanya Butshingi and Peter Watermeyer.
• Fidelitas Awards: Khanya Butshingi and Peter Watermeyer.
The prefect body for 2020 – those who will lead this boarding house and take care of the younger boys over the next year – was also announced.
Well done to Jaden Botherton (Head Prefect), supported by Bowen Langmead (Deputy Head Boy), Sicelokuhle (SO) Sishuba, Buchele Siloti and Matthew Hesselink.
We wish them everything of the best as they assume their duties.
The boys then enjoyed the famous “Union steaks” and ice-cream with chocolate sauce after which they were led by Konke Koyingana in song – a part of the evening which always highlights the spirit of the boarding house and provides outsiders with a small glimpse of the ‘behind-the-scenes’ hostel life.