Union High School is excited to announce the appointment of Miss Antonet Louw to lead our hockey coaches and teams. She will also serve the school as its sports administrator.
Miss Louw brings a wealth of coaching experience with her, but more importantly, her coaching philosophy is a perfect match for our Union community.
She believes that the values learned from participating in sport allow young athletes to grow as people. Her past colleagues mention that one of her greatest strengths is building relationships and say not only is she an unbelievable teacher and coach, but she is an even better person.
Miss Louw attended Oranje Meisieskool where she captained their first hockey team and served as the school’s deputy head girl as well as the hostel’s head girl.
After having earned her provincial colours in hockey every year from the age of 12 and later her national colours in the u/16, u/17 and u/18 divisions, she went on to study at the University of the Free State, where she furthered her hockey ambitions while completing her B. Ed Foundation Phase degree as well as her Honours in Educational Psychology.
Some of her highlights as a player, to name but a few:
• Representing the University of the Free State as part of their women’s hockey team from 2016 to 2019. (She also represented the University of Massachusetts while studying abroad for a year.)
• Representing the Free State province on a provincial level as part of their u/21A side as well as their Women’s side thereafter.
• Being selected to represent South Africa as part of their SA u/21 side, the u/21 African Cup Team and the u/21 Junior World Cup Team.
• Captaining the national side in several matches during the u/21 African Cup as well as the u/21 Junior World Cup in Chili.
• Over the years, she has also represented the Madikwe Rangers, the Orange Rivers Rafters as well as the Namaqualand Daisies in the Premier Hockey League.
Despite being a force to be reckoned with as a player, she has also managed to amass an impressive portfolio as a hockey coach and has built a sterling reputation as a dynamic, creative, resourceful and high impact leader.
Miss Louw’s achievements as a coach are too many to list and cover all levels from provincial teams (as coach to many of the Southern Free State provincial teams), to schools hockey, having served as a coach at the Oranje Meisieskool at an u/14 level, right up to u/18.
We are very excited to welcome her to our exceptional school and can’t wait for our players and parents to get to know her – we know she will be an incredible asset to the community!