Snr Rugby vs Burgersdorp

A fantastic day of rugby

Union High School hosted Burgerdorp High School’s rugby teams this past Saturday, 4 May.  The fixture resulted in a day filled with good rugby played by both schools

Union’s u/14As lost 10 – 33, the u/15As (in the accompanying photos) won 24 – 19, the u/16As lost 22-24 and the second team won 19 – 7.  The third team, who played against Murraysburg High School, won 15 – 12.

After all these matches were finalised, spectators were treated to an epic clash between the two schools’ 1st XVs.  The match lived up to all expectations and had everyone on the edge of their seats for a thrilling 70 minutes.

Burgersdorp was first to cross the line with a well-played move from a set piece.  Union bounced back and continued to build pressure, holding onto possession and putting together some wonderful phases until they could take advantage of a well-set lineout. This saw Brett Amsterdam cross the line which he then also converted to put the scores level.

Union continued to maintain possession and control territory which led to a well-worked team try scored by Khwezi Simon.  Union was, unfortunately, unable to take advantage of this lead and allowed Burgersdorp to score on the brink of half time with the scores standing at 12 – 12 at the break.

In the second half, Burgersdorp was again first to strike with a try against the run of play.  Union managed to stay composed and once again put together phase after phase of attack, unfortunately, a lack of accuracy in the set pieces kept Union from crossing the line.  Despite the inaccuracy, the continued pressure allowed for some individual brilliance from Lihle Mxhunyelwa, who touched down under the poles for Brett Amsterdam to convert to level up the scores.  This seemed to give Union a boost in confidence and the team once again managed to maintain possession and dominate territory.

Unfortunately, Union was unable to capitalize on the advantages they gave themselves and allowed Burgersdorp to take advantage of their inaccuracy at set pieces which put the Union team under pressure.

In the end, Union was unable to keep Burgersdorp from crossing the line to clinch the match in the last minute and lost the match 19 – 26.