Team spirit, grit and kindness – that is what Union High School, Graaff-Reinet’s Senior Interhouse Athletics Day was all about!
On Wednesday, 25 January, all Grade 8 to 12 Arnott and Daly athletes participated in a very memorable athletics meeting, where a 𝗵𝗶𝗴𝗵𝗹𝘆 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗲𝘁𝗶𝘁𝗶𝘃𝗲 𝘀𝗽𝗶𝗿𝗶𝘁 and 𝗸𝗲𝗲𝗻 𝗽𝗮𝗿𝘁𝗶𝗰𝗶𝗽𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 hallmarked the day.
𝗪𝗘𝗟𝗟 𝗗𝗢𝗡𝗘 to Arnott House who claimed the victory, with 600 points to Daly’s 501.
The following athletes must be commended on their 𝗢𝗨𝗧𝗦𝗧𝗔𝗡𝗗𝗜𝗡𝗚 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗠𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗦:
• Josh Arends came in first in the 200m and 400m and second in the 100m, high jump and long jump.
• Ben Lemke claimed first place in the 3000m, 1500m and 800m, second place in the 400m and fourth place in the 100m event.
• Misha Newton won the 3000m and 800m races and came in second in the 400m, 1500m and long jump events.
• Anna Bouwer claimed three first places in the 200m, high jump and long jump events, respectively.
• Na’eem Mahomed won the 100m, 400m and 3000m events and came in second in the 200m.
• Xavier Barlow took first place in the high jump and long jump, second in the javelin throw and third in the 100m race.
• Sade May claimed three first places in the 100m, 200m and 400m events.
• Kenza Neill took 1st place in the 800m, 3000m and second place in the long jump.
• Joy Merifield came in second in the 200m, 400m, 800m and javelin throw.
• Jude Langmead took first place in the 200m, 400m, discus throw and shot put and second place in the 100m, high jump and long jump.
• Ethan Linch reigned supreme in the middle to long distance events, claiming first place in the 800m, 1500m and 3000m events.
• Lana Bouwer came first in the 400m and high jump events and second in the 3000m and long jump events.
• Brigette Oelofsen claimed three first places in the 100m, 1500m and 3000m events, respectively.
The 𝗠𝗢𝗦𝗧 𝗖𝗥𝗘𝗗𝗜𝗕𝗟𝗘 𝗣𝗘𝗥𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗠𝗔𝗡𝗖𝗘𝗦 on the day, were those of:
• Joshua Swartland in the Open Boys 100m event where he crossed the finish line in 11,00 seconds;
• Yonella Wana in the Boys u/15 100m event with a time of 12 seconds and;
• Misha Newton’s time of 13:33,00 in the Girls u/15 3 000m event.
𝘊𝘰𝘯𝘨𝘳𝘢𝘵𝘶𝘭𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘴 𝘵𝘰 𝘢𝘭𝘭 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘯𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘸𝘩𝘰 𝘳𝘢𝘯 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘪𝘳 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘱𝘦𝘤𝘵𝘪𝘷𝘦 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦𝘴, 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘵𝘰 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘶𝘱𝘱𝘰𝘳𝘵𝘦𝘳𝘴 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘤𝘩𝘦𝘦𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘮 𝘰𝘯 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘴𝘩𝘰𝘸𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘵𝘳𝘶𝘦 𝘴𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘰𝘭 𝘴𝘱𝘪𝘳𝘪𝘵!
We also offer our sincere thanks to all parents and members of the Union community who assisted on the day. We appreciate you!
(𝗣𝗟𝗘𝗔𝗦𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗘:: Trophy winners will be announced at the Summer Sports’ Awards Assembly later this year.)